For highly productive cow farms, it is extremely important that the food they consume is bulky and of high quality, since the same farms produce over 10,000 liters of milk per cow, and that amount sometimes goes even over 15,000 liters.
Silko significantly contributes to the preparation of quality food, which is crucial for the profitability of dairy cow farms. It is obtained from plants harvested in the optimal phase of maturity (corn in the wax phase and alfalfa before flowering) and preserved as soon as possible (in one to two days).
Why is corn silage needed?
Here are the most important arguments that emphasize the importance of corn silage:
- Availability of food for periods of the year with low plant mass production
- It does not depend on the weather
- Lower costs
- Minimal loss of nutrients
- In silage, losses are 10-15%, and in hay 30-40%
- Highly tasty food
- Can be prepared from plants with a high yield of green mass (60-70 t / ha)
- It allows two harvests a year
- Requires 2 to 2.5 times less storage space
- Possible degradation of antinutritive factors